My Paula Dean Moment

My Paula Dean Moment

Six years ago I sat in my fertility doctor’s office waiting to hear the next plan of action.

I was finally pregnant and this time it looked like a viable pregnancy. I had been diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) in 2001 and part of my fertility treatment was taking Metformin, a drug used for diabetics. I hated taking drugs and wanted to be off, but after 3 miscarriages I would do anything I needed to play it safe.

When I asked my doctor if I could stop taking the Metformin he looked at me calmly and said “well you could stop now but you might as well stay on it because you will most likely develop diabetes.”

I can’t imagine what my face must have looked like when he said that…I was only 35 and he was telling me that I am going to get diabetes…was he serious?

This the same doctor who told me to drink a “Wendy’s Frosty” if I had morning sickness because they had a good protein/carb balance. I was in shock. He further explained the connection between PCOS (which is related to insulin resistance) and diabetes. He made it sound inevitable.

I knew in that moment there was no way I was going to stay on those drugs and there was no way I was getting diabetes if I could help it. I was so mad at my doctor and yet eternally grateful to him at the same time. After all, he was the one who set up my fertility treatment plan and I was finally pregnant.

I decided I would do everything I could to be healthier during this pregnancy and beyond. I would treat my body with more respect. I would nurture my body and my growing baby. The only thing was I had no idea what eating healthy meant. I had spent the past two decades either dieting or bingeing. My idea of healthy eating was “Lean Cuisines”, low fat yogurt  (oops…when they take the fat out they add sugar) and “skinny” decaf mochas. I had a lot to learn.

I became fiercely dedicated to overcoming my sugar addiction.

It was not just about me. I needed to do it for my kids. I did not want to be a 40 year old diabetic mom. I knew I had the power to make a change. That’s what I call my “Mama Power”. It is always easier to do things when we think of the impact it has on our children.

I am so grateful for that moment in my doctor’s office. It was a huge turning point in my life. It steered me down the path of reclaiming my health.

I started getting my period regularly when I was 37. I know this might not sound exciting to most women, but since I never had a regular period in life this was big to me. My doctor confirmed that my hormone levels are normal. I am more fertile at 41 than I was at 30.

I am no longer at risk of getting diabetes.

We all have a choice. Just like Paula. We can take the pill which might seem “easy” at the time or we can claim our power and create better health. With all the support available, I am hopeful that Paula will change her mind. What an amazing role model she could be if she chose health instead of looking for a pill to “cure” her.

Many of us will have a Paula moment. A chance to stand up for ourselves or give away our strength. Which would you choose?

15 Responses to My Paula Dean Moment

• varsha says:

very well written michelle….

• Sherry Brown says:

You are such an insiration to us!! I too am healthier at 51 then I was in my 30′s:

• Debbie McCain says:

I just got my Vitamix in the mail yesterday….I am looking forward to a healthier and happier 2012 and beyond:o)! Thanks Michelle for being such an inspiration and sharing your knowledge…it has really been helpful to me:o)!

• admin says:

Hooray Debbie. You will love your Vitamix. Thank you for your kind words. I love working with fun, motivated people like you!

• Great post Michelle! :)

• Jen 4 Health says:

YES – choice and i am inspired to live feeling calm and confident loving my life and my body in my 40′s and beyond – I choose breathing beauty, love and grace vs stuffing my facing and numbing out….

love you and all you stand for as a healthy hot mama

• Michelle, this brought tears to my eyes. Your journey is incredible and you are totally the picture of health, which makes it all the more amazing! Thank you for being willing to share so openly about your story which helps us all. xo

• admin says:

Thank you for the beautiful comment Nisha. Made me want to give you a huge hug. My journey has been a true gift and I feel honored to share it. xo

• Colleen Fisher says:

Kudos to you, Michelle! What an awesome reminder. I am loving the cleanse! I feel great. And my Vitamix is on its way, too. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

• admin says:

Thank you Colleen. I am loving having you in the cleanse. You are rockin’ it! Hooray for investing in the Vitamix. You will love it!

• Alice Fair says:

Michelle, you are such an inspiration & role model. You have truly found your calling in life because you had to walk thru it before you could help other people. Because of you, I am learning to eat different kinds of greens. I just found out kale is not bitter & I have used it in a vita mix drink & as a salad–delicious & good for you. Thank you for all you have taught me & still are teaching me. xxooAlice

• adina crawford says:

Michelle, thank you for sharing your story. You indeed are an inspiration to many of us. Sending you virtual hugs for all that you do and share.